While working from home can present unique challenges, the right approach makes all the difference.
Leading a remote team is both a challenge and an opportunity. While distance may seem like a hurdle, it can improve productivity and job satisfaction. We are sharing how our approach at Public Knowledge® (PK).
Clear Expectations and Goals
- Clearly defining expectations and goals is critical and serves as the foundation. When everyone understands their role, there is a shared vision of success.
Project Management Tools for Progress
- Adopting project management tools is a way to streamline projects. Doing so keeps everyone on the same page and provides a clear sense of direction.
- Effective communication is essential for remote team success. Consistent interaction through emails, video conferencing, and instant messaging helps overcome geographical barriers. It fosters a sense of unity and ensures that every team member is aligned toward the same goals.
Foster Collaboration and Team-Building
- Don’t let distance discourage collaboration. Try team-building activities that go beyond virtual obstacles. Share virtual coffee breaks or play online team games to strengthen camaraderie and create a harmonious team.
- Providing opportunities for professional development is critical. Harnessing a lifelong learner mentality leads to growth and expanding our collective expertise.
Trust and Empowerment
- Building trust is essential with a remote team. A way to do this is by giving your people the freedom to make decisions and take ownership of their work.
Living by Our Values
At PK, we strive to live our values every day. By prioritizing and actively embodying them, we can create a positive environment where everyone feels included, valued, and seen. This, in turn, fosters a sense of teamwork and collaboration.